Cognitive Style and Communicative Competence of Students
Keywords:communicative competence,, field dependence,, field independence,, analytical,, synthetic,, flexibility,, rigidity.
AbstractThe aim of this research is to analyze the relationship of cognitive styles with the communicative competence of the student. Cognitive style as an individual way of processing information is associated with all areas of human life: management, psychotherapy, education, etc. Cognitive styles are the best indicators of individual success, decision-making, etc. We hypothesized that there is a connection between cognitive styles and communicative competence as a construct. Empirically studied three types of cognitive-stylistic organization of personality (field dependence – field independence; analytical-synthetic; flexibility-rigidity). The results showed that half of the respondents demonstrate competent reactions in communication, the ability to adequately respond to the behavior of others in different situations. Other students showed aggressive or dependent behavior, indicating a low level of communicative competence of students. Students often have such cognitive styles as field independence and flexibility of thinking. Empirical analysis revealed statistically significant relationships of response types in communication with such cognitive styles as flexibility-rigidity. We did not find statistically significant relationships between communicative competence and cognitive styles field dependence-field independence and analytical-synthetic. The results show that high rates of aggression in communication are related with high rates of rigidity of thinking. We also found a weak correlation between dependent behavior in communication and indicators of flexibility of thinking. The prospects for further research are the analysis of the relationship of communicative competence with other cognitive styles and in other age categories.
2. Bodalev, A. A. (1996). Psihologija obshhenija [Psychology of communi¬cation]. Moskva; Voronezh (in Russian).
3. Dorfman, L. Ja. Druzhinina, V.N. Korosteljanin, K. (1998). Stil’ cheloveka: psihologicheskij analiz [Human style: psychological analysis]. Moskva: Smysl (in Russian).
4. Zotova, I. N. (2006). Psihologo-pedagogicheskaja podderzhka razvitija kommunikativnoj kompetentnosti studentov tehnicheskogo vuza [Psychological and pedagogical support for the development of communicative competence of students of a technical university]. Candidate’s thesis. Stavropol’ (in Russian).
5. Kalamazh, R. V. (2012). Kohnityvno-stylovyi vymir u psykholohichnykh doslidzhenniakh [Cognitive-stylistic dimension in psychological research]. Naukovi zapysky. Seriia Psykholohiia i pedahohika. Tematychnyi vypusk Aktualni problemy kohnityvnoi psykholohii – Proceedings. Psychology and pedagogy series. Thematic issue Actual problems of cognitive psychology, 20, 32–41 (in Ukrainian).
6. Kravets, K. (2004). Styl «polezalezhnist–polenezalezhnist» u psykholohich¬nomu vymiri [Style «field dependence – field independence» in the psychological dimension]. Sotsialna psykholohiia – Social Psychology, 5 (7), 119–129 (in Uk¬rainian).
7. Pasichnyk, I. D., Maksymenko, S. D. (2010). Rol kohnityvno–stylovykh osoblyvostei osobystosti v protsesi navchalnoi diialnosti [The role of cognitive and stylistic features of personality in the process of educational activity]. Naukovi zapysky. Seriia Psykholohiia i pedahohika. Tematychnyi vypusk: Suchasni doslidzhennia kohnityvnoi psykholohii – Proceedings. Psychology and pedagogy series. Thematic issue: Modern research of cognitive psychology, 14, 3–11 (in Uk¬rainian).
8. Holodnaja, M. A. (2004). Kognitivnye stili. O prirode individual’nogo uma [Cognitive styles. About the nature of the individual mind]. Sankt-Peterburg: Piter (in Russian).
9. Shupta, N. A. (2004). Nauchno-teoreticheskie podhody k issledovaniju kognitivnyh stilej v zarubezhnoj i otechestvennoj nauke [Scientific and theoretical approaches to the study of cognitive styles in foreign and domestic science]. Sibirskaja psihologija segodnja – Siberian Psychology Today, 2, 21–32 (in Russian).
10. Bendall, R. C. A., Lambert, S., Galpin, A., Marrow, L. P., Cassidy, S. (2019). Psychophysiological indices of cognitive style: A triangulated study incorporating neuroimaging, eye-tracking, psychometric and behavioral measures. Personality and Individual Differences, 144, 68–78. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2019.02.034
11. Galiakberova, A. A., & Galyamova, E. Kh. (2019). Cognitive Styles in Solving Educational Tasks. Journal of History Culture and Art Research, 8(4), 371–381. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.7596/taksad.v8i4.2385
12. Gardner, R. W. (1953). Cognitive style in categorizing behavior. Journal of Personality, 22, 214–233.
13. Koć‐Januchta, M. M., Höffler, T. N., Eckhardt, M., Leutner, D. (2019). Does modality play a role? Visual – verbal cognitive style and multimedia learning. J Comput Assist Learn, 35, 747–757. https://doi.org/10.1111/jcal.12381
14. Liedtke, J., Fromhage, L. (2019). Modelling the evolution of cognitive sty¬les. BMC Evolutionary Biology, 19, 234 https://doi.org/10.1186/s12862-019-1565-2
15. Qi, M., Armstrong, S. J. (2019). The influence of cognitive style diversity on intra-group relationship conflict, individual-level organizational citizenship behaviors and the moderating role of leader-member-exchange. International Journal of Conflict Management, 30(4), 490–513. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJCMA-09-2018-0105
16. Wang, D., Hao, L., Maguire, P., Hu, Y. (2018). The effects of cognitive style and emotional trade-off difficulty on information processing in decision-making. International Journal of Psychology, 53(6), 468–476, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/ ijop.12404
17. Witkin, H. A., Goodenough, D. R. (1982). Cognitiv Styles: Essence and Origins. Field dependece and field independence. Psychological Issues, 51, 1–141.
18. Zhang, M. Wang, X., Wang, F.Q., Liu, H. H. (2020). Effect of Cognitive Style on Language Control During Joint Language Switching: An ERP Study. Journal of psycholinguistic research, 49(3), 383–400. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/ s10936-019-09682-7